Saturday, January 18, 2020

It has happened to me

Longtime readers will remember this post from 2016 where I talked about plans to deal with the declining Catholic population of my hometown.  This last year, I found out things had happened over the last few years.  I don't make it home much due to health difficulties and unless I ask specific questions, my parents don't volunteer much info from home as they are more interested in me.  So I discovered that plans had indeed gone forward with the construction of a new church building.  And on social media, friends from home posted pictures of one of the church buildings as Mass was being said within for the last time before demolition.  Now there is only the church in which I was baptized many years ago.  I don't know what the endgame is for that building; I assume it too will be demolished once the new building is completed.  Oh...

Judging by the architect's drawings and plans, the new church isn't terrible.  On the outside it looks more or less like a church.  The inside has many of the usual defects of a post-conciliar worship space.  Many items were saved from the church that was demolished and more will be from the other, so time will tell how it all turns out.

No comments: