Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Live blogging: Church of St. George

Benedict XVI and his host Bartholomew I are at the Church of St. George there in Constantinople. I have no clue what they're saying, but I'm watching.

The church there is pretty impressive. If the Patriarchate ever runs short of cash, they have plenty of gold to sell on the world market. My experience of Catholic churches is rather limited, but having seen different churches on TV, the West seems to have chosen marble over gold?

It looks like they'll be proceeding out and off to their private meeting in a moment. The camera shot pulled back showing the line of Orthodox clergy on one side and the Romans on the other is cool.

There they go. It's cool that Benedict has revived certain portions of the papal wardrobe. If he were simply wearing the usual white garb, he'd look rather bland and out-of-place I think.

No comments: