Sunday, May 08, 2005

Interview from 2002 with Cardinal Ruini

Exclusive Interview with Cardinal Camillo Ruini: "My Battle for Man" at www.chiesa

Politics and faith, Catholics and secularists, Europe and Islam: The pope´s vicar covers all the fields. He also speaks of good and bad culture models. And of the No. 1 danger: the naturalistic tendency of modern man

Tonight I've been browsing through the archives of articles at www.chiesa and I came across this interview that Sandro Magister did with Cardinal Ruini. The wide range of topics covered and Ruini's answers to them are interesting, especially the cardinal's comments on the Church and politics. Cardinal Ruini also gives me some more titles that I need to pick up and read one of these days...

Returning to the masters of Catholic thought, which would you advise to be reread today?

"Certainly Alexis de Tocqueville, he's always current. And Maurice Blondel. And Romano Guardini. But also Lonergan - I remember, from my studies, his openness to scientific reasoning."

At the last plenary assembly of bishops you cited with admiration Karl Löwith, the Jewish philosopher and historian.

"He's another I would recommend to be read. He helped me understand the historical and cultural situation of Christianity in Germany in the 19th century, between Hegel and Nietzsche."

Magister is bolded, Cardinal Ruini is in quotes.

No comments: