* 1848: After being arrested in the Vienna revolts, liberal leader Robert Blum is executed. The execution is often seen as a symbolic event for the ultimate failure of Germany's 1848 revolution.
* 1918: Monarchy in Germany ends when Emperor Wilhelm II abdicated after being informed that the Army no longer supported him.
* 1923: The Beer Hall Putsch marks the emergence of the Nazi Party as an important player on Germany's political landscape.
* 1938: In the Kristallnacht, synagogues and Jewish property are burnt and destroyed on a large scale. For many observers, it is the first hint of Germany's radical anti-Jewish policies.
* 1989: The fall of the Berlin Wall ends German separation and starts a series of events that ultimately lead to German reunification.