Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Discerning

This last week when I was home for Thanksgiving, I talked to my mom and my brother a bit about a latent desire to learn more about the priesthood. After some serious discussion and a few jokes to lighten the mood by my brother, we finished up our chat and then had supper.

As I noted, it's a pretty latent desire. My discernment of a true vocation has been more along the lines of questioning my motivations, but it should move towards a more positive vein.

My primary concern is finding something that I can in fact do, should I become a priest. As you all know, I'm relatively deaf (my hearing's not all gone, but it's getting there). I also have a hard time speaking due some paralysis in my throat. On the other hand, I'm a college graduate with a degree in political science and religious studies. The question is what kind of use can be made of that degree in the Church and where would I go/which order might I join to put myself to the fullest possible use?

At this point, this is more for my own personal edification than any kind of deliberate move towards a vocation. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate reading them, either via the comment box or by email.

My email is Sephiroth9611(at)aol(dot)com and if you use AOL or AIM, feel free to instant message me.

No comments: