Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Favorite movie?

This month on Turner Classic Movies (the cable channel based on Ted Turner's MGM library of films) is honoring Bing Crosby by showing his movies on Monday nights. Last night, the channel started off the evening with Going My Way, followed up by The Bells of St. Mary's. After that, they had more, but I was off for bed.

As long time readers will know, I'm interested in how the clergy is portrayed in movies and the long term effect such portrayals have on the culture.

Going My Way initially made $16 million according to IMDb, a huge sum at the time. It won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Crosby), Best Supporting Actor (Barry Fitzgerald), Best Song, etc.

Questions
1. Given its popularity at the time, what impact do you think Going My Way may have had on humanizing the Catholic Church, if any?

2. What is your favorite movie that gives clergy a starring role?

No comments: